Este artículo tiene:
- 1 Steps to migrate Joomla! to WordPress
- 2 Last steps to migrate Joomla! to WordPress
Every website owner wants to have the best. It is for that reason that many decide to migrate Joomla! to WordPress. This is because with WordPress you have many more advantages compared to other content management systems.
Steps to migrate Joomla! to WordPress
Although this is a simple process, it is essential to follow each of the steps to the letter, only then you can get the expected result. Let’s see below what they are and how to perform each one.
Prepare website to migrate from Joomla! to WordPress
This is the first step to take into account. This is a necessary step, especially if you have been running your website for a long time.
Then, before proceeding with the migration, I recommend that you remove all those things that you don’t want to have on WordPress. For example, some people make drafts of some projects and keep them there for a long time or may be photos or images that you no longer require. The time to evaluate whether you will use them on WordPress is right now, before you start making the migration.
After that step, it’s time to secure all the information that you will need. To do that, I recommend making a backup of each and every file.
Installing WordPress to migrate from Joomla!
This is perhaps the most difficult step, compared to the others. It is to install WordPress, which you must do correctly to avoid conflicts with other programs or with Joomla!, remember that, until the migration is not completed, it will remain available. Let’s see each of the steps you must take.
- FTP. You must make use of this program to log in to an online server. Once there, you must create a new folder and name it WordPress, that name is a suggestion, but it would be good to use it to avoid confusion later. You must do this in the public folder of the web server.
- Download. WordPress has evolved over time, so you must download the latest version of it.
- Use FTP once again. With this program you must install WordPress. You must do it in the folder you created, according to step number 1 of this list. It will only work if you install it there in that folder.
- cPanel. This panel will help you create the database. Don’t forget to take note of both the name the database has and the username and password you have chosen.
- WordPress Wizard. You must enter the username and password to use this section.
Install plug-in to migrate to WordPress
To do the migration you need the plug-in called: FG Joomla! to WordPress. After running this plug-in, you must provide the information it will ask for. In case of any doubts, you can find answers by going to the control panel in Joomla, then to the database configuration.
These are the steps to follow with the plugin
- Import. You click on this option to start the migration.
- Joomla!!! Many options will appear, you must choose Joomla.
- Configuration. It’s time for you to configure every detail step by step.
Import from Joomla! to WordPress
Something very important is that among the options that are going to be presented at this point will be to completely remove the landing page in WordPress. That is the option that we recommend you as it is better to start from scratch. Then you must place this information:
- URL. It is the web address of the site in Joomla!.
- Joomla database parameters. It is the name of the database in Joomla! Verify that the information is correct.
- Other parameters. It’s time for you to let your creativity out to select the options you prefer in the remaining ones.
After you’re sure you’ve chosen all of them, it’s time to start the migration. Then you will be able to see what information was moved from Joomla! to WordPress. This way you will be able to perform a complete check.
One of the things that some people overlook when migrating a website from Joomla! to WordPress has to do with internal links. It is possible that within your Joomla! page you have placed some links that take visitors to other sites. These are not automatically modified.
But the good news is that you don’t have to correct them one by one, you just have to make use of the corresponding option in the plugin you have been using throughout this process. This option is called Modify Internal Links.
Last steps to migrate Joomla! to WordPress
As final steps, you need to delete the website in Joomla!, this will make you able to make other changes on WordPress, which will allow you to leave your new website in perfect working order. This is what you should do:
- General Settings. You must enter this option and modify the name of the web page. Until this moment it had the expression WordPress at the end, but now you must remove that word.
- FTP. Once again this program will help you with an essential step. In the public directory you must delete all Joomla! folders except those that have to do with WordPress and the one called cgi-bin.
- WordPress folder. This folder contains all the information of your new site, so it’s time to move it to the root directory. Being more specific, you must move all the documents it contains. After completely emptying the folder, delete it.
Once all the above steps have been carried out, the web page should work normally, the best way to make sure of this is to log in.
As an additional detail I comment that it could happen during the migration process that the web page presents some error, even say that it does not exist, but you should not worry because only when the process is completed is that it will work without problems.