Este artículo tiene:
- 1 Discover’s updates include:
- 2 Optimization for Google Discover
- 3 For brands, it represents a game changer in SEO.
- 4 Here are a few to keep in mind.
Brands will have to focus more on the quality of the content they produce, as well as audience engagement due to the emergence of Google Discover. Like other feeds, Google’s comes in the form of a series of cards intended to keep users up to date on the stories they are most interested in.
The feed, which relies on a user’s browser history, indicated interests and machine learning, marks a new phase in Google search, one that doesn’t actually require any searching by the user.
Instead of relying on users to perform a typical search, Discover provides information to users even before they search for it.
And with more than 800 million users, the Feed has proven to be a success.
As Google continues its efforts to make search as seamless as possible, it debuted a host of new features that will arrive later this year.
One of them was the revamped Google Feed, now called Google Discover.
Discover’s updates include:
- New look: The design has been completely redesigned, with an emphasis on visual content. And now, each message will come with a clickable topic header and a Discover icon. Clicking on it will display related content.
- Updated content – Previously, most of the content that appeared in the Feed was news coverage, but with the launch of Discover Google announced plans to include more “Ever Green” content (content that isn’t new, but may be new to you). Based on your search history, it will also pull content based on your experience with a given topic (e.g., if you are a beginner guitar player, it will show you beginner material).
- More control: At the bottom of each card, you can indicate whether you want to see more or less of a particular type of content.
- On the Google homepage: Previously, Google Feed was accessible through the Google mobile app, but now Google plans to display it on all mobile browsers on google.com.
Optimization for Google Discover
Google Discover represents a major change in the way people use Google’s search engine. Primarily, users no longer have to rely on their own search queries to find the topics most relevant to them.
For brands, it represents a game changer in SEO.
Without search queries, keyword optimization won’t be enough to rank your content on Discover. But the good news is this, many of the rules of SEO still apply with Discover.
Here are a few to keep in mind.
Create engaging, quality content
As always, a focus on creating high-quality content that meets the needs of your readers is crucial to the appearance of content on Discover. But in addition to quality, you’ll need to focus on getting engagement for your content.”
Think about your typical social media feed. It’s largely dictated, but what you and your friends or followers have interacted with the most in the past. So, it makes sense that the Discover Feed is based on a similar principle.
The key difference here is this: Discover does not take into account what friends or followers like or share. It relies solely on the content you’ve engaged with the most and this makes building relationships with your users more important than ever.
Think of ways to encourage your prospects and their customers to engage, through email marketing personalization, loyalty perks, social media virals, etc.
Use images and videos to rank on Google Discover
In its announcement, Google noted that users would see more images and fresh visual content in the Discover channel. This means that for content to surface, it must include high-quality images (and relevant thumbnail images) and be pushed to video where possible.
You can reduce the size of the photos without losing quality with these tools.
Create new and always “Ever Green”
To improve the bet of being attracted to the user’s Discover channels, you have to focus on creating a mix of content. As Google said, focus on both the freshest, most newsworthy content and “Ever Green” content.”
Make sure your editorial calendar includes space for both, and that it’s updating any existing evergreen posts.
Build trusted content for your users
Using social media sources as a model, another key factor we can take away is the emphasis they place on the trustworthiness of a source.
Facebook, in particular, has cracked down, classifying only “high-quality news” in its latest algorithm update.
For Google, it probably means that the more reliably your content ranks, the more likely it is to appear in Discover.
To build trust in Google’s eyes, it all comes down to your site’s authority. And your authority, of course, all goes back to the quality of your content.
It doesn’t hurt to have a link strategy aimed at getting links from high quality websites.
Also note that Google Discover is available in multiple languages and that Google plans to expand it.
How to get to Google Discover
Think of it this way, Google Discover displays content if you interact with it. All you need to do is get someone to interact with your content and you have the potential to show the feed.
Get a high rating for SEO
- Publish promoted content ads on Google Ads and get users to interact with your website.
- Send content in email newsletters.
- Promote, promote, promote, promote, promote
The latest from Google represents a new way to rank and optimize content for the SERP.
Brands should note that to optimize for Google Discover, they will need to focus more on the quality of the content they produce and on promotion.